In this hands-on workshop for Sydney Craft Week, you'll learn to make simple plates, dishes and bowls using slump molds and slabs, without a slab roller!
Using Japanese techniques and methods you can mimic at home or in your studio, this hands-on workshop will show you how to make slabs efficiently using handmade tools and jigs.
After the workshop, your pieces will be bisque fired and glaze fired back at the Mukumono Ceramics Studio and ready to be collected in 2 to 3 weeks at COMMUNE.
What you’ll learn:
- How to craft your own slab-building tools and subsequently use them to build clay slabs!
- Basic wedging technique
- How to make simple slump molds on a wheel from clay with plaster (by demonstration)
- How to make small dishes, bowls, cups, using slump molds and slabs
What you’ll get:
- A selection of pieces you have made yourself using Japanese techniques
- The use of our tools and equipment including wire, small buckets, wooden dowels, jigs, plaster, 5kg of stoneware clay and banning wheels
What to bring:
- Small sponge
- Large sponge
- Small cutting harp
- Banning wheel (if you have one)
- Towel and/or apron (to wipe hands)